Pole-Safe® Omni-Directional Breakaway Support System
Pole-Safe® Omni-Directional Breakaway Support System is designed to be used on poles located within roadside clear zones and other locations vulnerable to vehicular impacts. The primary component of the system is a “double neck”, high-strength, omni-directional coupling, engineered to breakaway quickly and cleanly upon impact. Pole-Safe® couplings breakaway in a consistent, predictable fashion, regardless of the vehicle's angle of impact, saving lives and reducing property damage.
Features and Advantages
- superior safety performance
- zero maintenance
- high structural load carrying capacity
- approved for use on all FHWA funded projects
- offers exceptional resistance to forces created by wind and dead loads
- designed for use with maximum allowable pole mass specified by AASHTO
- can be used on a large range of light pole sizes and configurations
- no special tools or equipment needed for installation
Tested and Proven
Pole-Safe® vehicle crash tests were conducted in accordance with NCHRP Report 350 using a 55 foot high, 930-pound pole, and are accepted under MASH 08.
Extensive finite element analysis and simulated wind-load testing has been used to optimize the system for maximum loading conditions.
Independent fatigue testing has demonstrated that Pole-Safe® couplings are capable of withstanding more than two million loading cycles with no reduction in structural capacity.
Low initial cost coupled with high structural capacity and zero maintenance makes the Pole-Safe® Omni-Directional Breakaway Support System the most cost-effective solution for all breakaway applications
Breakaway Supports for Way-finding Posts
Transpo’s Breakaway Support Systems for Way-Finding signs are successfully used by design firms to incorporate Breakaway supports into their designs to comply with regulations.
For more information visit